The purpose of this randomized controlled study is to
1. Examine the feasibility of a home Mirror therapy (MT) program in the NYC metropolitan
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of home MT versus traditional home exercise program; and
3. Evaluate the superiority of unimanual or bimanual MT intervention protocols for chronic
stroke subjects with moderate hand deficits. Subjects from occupational therapy at the
Ambulatory Care Center of NYU Langone Center with a diagnosis of cerebral vascular
accident (CVA) or stroke will be divided into three (3) groups:
- Control Group subjects will participate in standard occupational therapy
rehabilitation protocol plus a traditional home based exercise program.
- Experimental group 1 subjects will participate in standard rehabilitation protocol
plus unimanual home based mirror therapy program
- Experimental group 2 subjects will participate in standard rehabilitation protocol
plus bimanual home based mirror therapy program.