- As the left and right hemisphere are specialized for different auditory tasks, the
proposed study aims at demonstrating different consequences of right or left-sided
deafness for the affected individual.
- Furthermore, the question should be answered if auditory deficits and plastic changes
can be partially reversed by cochlear implantation of the deaf ear.
- Multicenter, prospective, open, non-randomized clinical trial with 5 patients with
right-sided and 5 patients with left-sided sensineural deafness.
- Pre-operative: Audiometry, Sound Localization Audiometry, PET, EEG/MEG
- Comparison of pre-operative investigations with 10 healthy subjects (age and gender
matched control group)
- Cochlea implantation
- Follow-up Visits at 3, 6, 9 and 12 month post-operative: Audiometry, Sound Localization
Audiometry, PET, EEG, Questionnaires
- Trial with medical device