- It was confirmed that the laparoscopic surgery decreases the postoperative pain and
reduces the recovery periods in the various surgical fields such as cholecystectomy and
colectomy etc. Also, there are clinical evidences that the laparoscopic surgery is
applicable to malignant tumor according to the development of surgical techniques and
- In case of early stage of gastric cancer, as the diverse clinical evidences, the
gastrectomy has been commonly applied, however, the opening surgery is still applied for
advanced gastric cancer due to lack of clinical evidence.
- In Korea, approximately 38% of patients who undergo surgery for gastric cancer are
diagnosed by T2-T3 (AJCC 6th edition) (www.i-kgca.or.kr, National gastric cancer
registration business in 2009). There are various clinical evidences to apply
laparoscopic surgery to the patients, however, most of them are retrospective or cohort
- For the clinical application of surgical treatment regarding locally advanced gastric
cancer using laparoscopic surgical technique, it requires the confirmation of definite
execution for laparoscopic gastrectomy and D2 lymph node dissection and the safety of
surgery and oncological usefulness should be verified.
- In order for this, it is only possible to confirm through the comparison of short-term
surgical results (complications, mortalities, operative time and duration of
hospitalization etc) and long-term results (survival rates and recurrence rates etc)
between laparoscopic surgery and opening surgery based on the multicenter large-sized
randomized prospective study with current standard treatment.