Cardiovascular Diseases / Inflammation / Metabolism Disorder, Lipid
Assistance Publique - Hôpitaux de Paris
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the antiatherogenic and anti-inflammatory potential of an adequate intake of alpha-linolenic acid in elderly.
- : Rapeseed oilActive comparator arm : Dietary Supplement: rapeseed oil supplementation (10g per day) and margarine with a high level of alpha-linolenic acid (12.5g per day) during 42 days.
- Alpha-linolenic acid
- : Sunflower oilPlacebo comparator arm : Dietary Supplement: sunflower oil supplementation (10g per day) and margarine with a high level of inoleic acid (12.5g per day) during 42 days.
- Linoleic acid
|Ages eligible for Study||65 Years and older|
|Genders eligible for Study||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers||No|
- Elderly patients over 65 years old exhibiting clinical indices of cardiovascular disease
- Male or female
- Subjects who were hospitalized in the Geriatric Unit of the Emile Roux Hospital (AP-HP)
- MMSE (Mini Mental State Examination)score > or = 15
- Supervision available for study medication
- Able to ingest oral diet
- Patients unable to understand the objectives of the dietary intervention
- Patients in paliative care
- Patients receiving supplement diets
There is growing evidence that diets high in long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) decrease the risk of fatal ischemic heart disease.Both epidemiologic studies and clinical trials demonstrate substantial cardioprotective effects of alpha linolenic acid (ALA) from vegetable oils.However, little is known about the relation of the dietary intake of ALA with ischemic heart disease among older adults.In this study, elderly volunteers will be asked to ingest a supplement of a vegetable oil providing 1g of ALA, or an equivalent amount of linoleic acid as sunflower oil, for a diet period of 6 weeks.Serum samples will be collected before the dietary intervention and 6 weeks later.Plasma biomarkers of inflammatory, lipid cardiovascular risk factors and serum and red cell membrane fatty acid composition will be determined on all samples.
- hopital Emile RouxLimeil Brevannes, France, 94450
31 October, 2006
17 January, 2017