Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy / Post-Cardiorespiratory Arrest Coma / Cardiac Arrest
Tepecik Training and Research Hospital
This study is designed to assess the effect of cerebral oxygen saturation as an early predictor of neurological outcomes in patients undergoing therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest
- Device: Near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) (INVOS®, Covidien)As we start the targeted temperature management protocol (24 hours of hypothermia adjusted to 33-36 C and afterwards up to five days of normothermia [36.5 C]) NIRS sensor pads will be placed over the right and left frontal area. Regional cerebral oxygen values will be continuously recorded at the NIRS monitor. Tests to assess neurological outcome will be performed. Patients will be assessed in terms of neurological performance tests and regional cerebral oxygen.
|Ages eligible for Study||18 Years and older|
|Genders eligible for Study||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers||No|
- Patients at least 18 years old
- Patients undergoing therapeutic hypothermia
- Patients under 18 years
- Patients unsuitable for therapeutic hypothermia
Our study is planned as a prospective observational study. Patients undergoing therapeutic hypothermia in our intensive care unit after cardiac arrest will be enrolled. Each patient's cerebral oxygenation will be monitored with near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in every 6 hours during our 24 hour lasting hypothermia period. Afterwards, patients will be monitorised in every 6 hours during the first day of hypothermia and than the mean values of daily cerebral oxygen values will be noted in the third, fourth and fifth days of nomothermia. Regional oxygen saturation (rSO2) will be noted from left and right probes. Full Outline of Unresponsiveness (FOUR) Score, Glasgow Coma Score (GCS) and cerebral performance category scale (CPC) will be noted at the beginning of therapeutic hypothermia and each day during normothermia, day 21 and the day of discharge from ICU.
- Tepecik Research and Training HospitalrecruitingIzmir, Konak, Turkey, 35110
31 August, 2016
18 January, 2017